The Old Zimmerman Cemetery is located about 2.5 miles NW of Cameron, SC. It is in a wooded area on private property and is not accessible from public roads.
This is an extensive cemetery containing 70-100 graves many of which do not have markers. The section first entered from the field (~ 0.25 acres) contains primarily Zimmermans and probably was the initial Zimmerman family cemetery. Extensions from this section (~ 0.75 acres) shows other names as will be noted below. The sections are separated by what appears to have been a small drainage ditch and both areas were well cleared.
1. In Memoriam / Dr. T.H. Zimmerman / son of / J.C. and S.P. / Zimmerman / Born in Spartanburg / May 30th, 1833 / Died in St. Matthews / February 23, 1873. (E.R. White Stone) (1625)
2. John H. Zimmerman / Second son of / Dr. T. H. Zimmerman and Anna R. / Zimmerman / Died October 23, ? / Aged 3 mons, 13 days. (1651, 1652)
3. Russell H. Zimmerman / Born March 23, 1818 / Died February 17, 1888 / Age 70 Years., 11 Months, 6 Days. (1626)
4. Elizabeth R. Zimmerman / Born December 25, 1818 / Died June 21, 1888 / Age 70 years, 5 Months, 25 Days. (1626)
5. Sacred / To The Memory of / Russel D. Zimmerman* / Eldest Son of/ R.H. and E. R. Zimmerman / Born September 14, 1842 / Killed at Walthal Station, Virginia May 7th, 1864/ Aged 21 Years, 5 Months, 23 Days. (1627,1628)
6.In / Memory Of / Mary Jane / fourth daughter of / Russel and Elizabeth R. / Zimmerman /Departed this Life 4th Day of September, 1849 / Aged 8 Years and 10 Months. (1630)
7. Stillborn Infant / son of / Russel and Elizabeth R. Zimmerman. (1631)
8. To / The Memory / Of / Ann Elizabeth / daughter of / Russel and Elizabeth Zimmerman / Who departed this Life / September 11th, 1840 / Aged 1 Year, 5 Months and 9 Days. (1633, 1654)
9. In / Memory Of / Georgian / Infant daughter of / Russel and Elizabeth Zimmerman / Died September 6th, 1840 / Aged one Year Two Months. (1635)
10. In / Memory Of / Elizabeth Evans / the widow of the late / Daniel Zimmerman / who departed this life / the 16th of August, 1836. / The Mother of 9 Children / By the former Husband / Eight sons and I Daughter / None by the latter, / of whom 5 survived her, / four sons / and her only daughter / Aged 53 Years and 2 Months. (1638)
11. In / Memory Of / Grabrella M. / the Daughter of / John C. and Selma Zimmerman / who departed this life the 13th day of December, 1829 / Aged One Month, 27 Days. (1639)
12. In / Memory Of / Daniel Zimmerman / Who departed this life / the 22nd day of / January 1824 / Aged 44 Years. (1640, 1641, 1643)
13. In / Memory Of / Morgin / Son of / Daniel and Elizabeth Zimmerman / Departed this Life the / 17th of September, 1814 / Aged 7 Months. (1642, 1644)
14. James H. / Son of / Daniel and Elizabeth Zimmerman / Who Departed this Life the / 30th of August, 1814. (1645)
15. In / Memory Of / William / Son of / Daniel and Elizabeth / Zimmerman / Who Departed this Life the / 7th of September 1804 / Aged 3 Years, 8 Months and 6 Days. (1647)
16. Sacred / To The Memory of / Mary L. / Daughter of / Thomas H. and Anne E. / Zimmerman / Who died October 7, 1858 / Age 2 years, 8 months / and 11 days. (1632)
17. Sacred / To The Memory of / John M. / third son of / Thomas H. and Ann E. Zimmerman / who departed this Life / the 31st of October 1857 / Age 4 yrs., 1 mon. / and 21 days. (W.T. White Stone) (1634)
18. Sacred / To The Memory of / Thomas H. / second son of / Thos H. and Ann E. Zimmerman / who departed this life / the12th of October 1857 / Aged 7 yrs., 2 mons / and 21 days (1636,1655)
19. Sacred / To The Memory of / Susannah / 2nd daughter of / Thomas H. and Ann T. Zimmerman / who departed this life / the 3rd of August, 1857 / Aged 15 yrs, 1 mon. / and 13 days. (In Close Proximity to this grave was found a large, retangular stone which began with "The following lines found in her Bible" followed by the quote)(1637, 1655, 1656)
20. Sacred / To The Memory / of / Irwin H. Zimmerman / son of / Daniel and Elizabeth / Zimmerman / who departed this Life / October 22nd, 1858 / Aged 45 yrs., 9 mons. / and 29 days. (1650,1653) On the cast iron fence surrounding this grave (an oblisk) was a plaque with the following. Dr. J.H. Zimmerman / Died at his Plantation in Alabama and was brought here, his native place for internment. This railing is placed to his memory by his brother Russell and sister Mary. (1649)
21. Standing againist the fence was a large stone with the following partial statements. T.H. and J.N. Zimmerman / Lovely and pleasant in their lives / and in their death / They were not divided / side by side ther're sweetly sleeping / Little loved ones early Blest/ Free from care ............ (1646, 1648)
22. Daniel H. / only precious child of / David P. and / Elly E. Jamison / died / Sept. 28, 1871 / Aged 11 yrs., 1 Mon. / 23 days. (1629)
Extending from the above graves, the following stones were found. Reviewing the names, It is suspected that this area is a Negro cemetery.
23. Pearline M. / wife of / James Kennerly / Mar. 19, 1897 / Sept. 14, 1920
24. Brunson / Daniel Brunson / 1871-1934 (large stone)
25. In Memory of / Sara Brunson / who was born / June 1, 1872 / died / June 11, 1916 / followed by quote. Erected by Daniel Brunson.
26. Jackie / son of / W. and G. Brunson / born Apr. 16, 1904 / died / Jan. 24, 1917/ quote.
27. Samuel Green / born / Feb. 20, 1879 / died / Oct 27, 1903 / quote
28. Corine / dau. of / A.H. and Cora Black / died Dec. 4, 1916 / Age 1 Year / Gone but not / forgotten.
29. Julous Brunsen / died Jan 24, 1919 / Age 85 Years / May the Resurrection / find thee / on the Bosom of thy God.
30. John D. Aiken / died July 22, 1917 / Age 28 Yrs.
31. Phyllis / wife of / Gabrill Aiken / born Jun. 1, 1859 / died Jan. 31, 1909 / an Angle visited the green / and took the flower away.
32. Come Ye Blessed / Adam Glover / Oct. 6, 1866 / Sept. 16, 1916 / We will meet again.
33. Henry Zinemon / Died Feb. 27, 1917 / Age 65 Yrs. / Gone to a fairer land / of pleasures and love / to __ the bright land / of Angles above.
34. Daniel Dantzler / died Jan. 29, 1918 / Age 53 Yrs., 8 Mons / and 29 Days / The memory shall / ever be / a guiding star / to heaven.
35. Jake Caldwell / died May 10, 1917 / Age 42 Yrs. / quote.
36. William Illery / died Aug. 12, 1917 / Age 50 Yrs. / may the resurrection / find thee / on the Bosom of thy God.
37. Eva / dau. of / L. and H. Bookard / died July 4, 1917 / Aged 17 Yrs. / may the resurrection / find thee / on the Bosom of thy God.
38. Stephen Zimmerman / died Nov. 24, 1910 / Aged 78 Yrs. / May the Resurrection / find thee / on the bosom of thy God.
39. Wesley Snell / died Nov. 22, 1918 / Aged 41 Yrs. / ? / gone to a fairer land / one of pleasure and love / to join the brighter land / ? / wife of / L.H. Green.
40. Maggie / wife of / Nelson Thomas / died Dec. 9, 1915 / Age 48 Yrs.
41. Armeadia / wife of / Harris Harrison / died Mar. 15, 1916 / May the Resurrectio / find thee / on the Bosom of thy God.
42. James Brown / SC / Pvt. U.S. Army / January 25, 1939.
Surveyed Friday, January 26, 2001 by Phyllis Ulmer, Jim Rickenbacker and Harry Ulmer. The (16xx) numbers after each item refer to the digital photograph taken by Jim Rickenbacker. Appreciation is extended to Monty Rast and Garrett (Gary) Dietrich the owner of the property; the former for making arrangements for the visit, showing us the position and best method of approaching it along with comments and the latter for showing us the extent of the cemetery and significant comments about it.
| Genealogy Home | Rembert Family | Rickenbacker Family | Links |
Copyright © 2001, 2004 by H. E. Ulmer and J. E. Rickenbacker. All rights reserved.